Skip to main content


What is a LOMA?

LOMA to be issued by FEMA to remove one or more structures from the SFHA, the NFIP regulations require that the lowest adjacent grade (the lowest ground touching the structure) be at or above the BFE.

View LOMA (Letter of Map Amendment)

What is a LOMR-F?

LOMR-F to be issued by FEMA to remove the structure from the SFHA, the NFIP regulations require that the lowest adjacent grade of the structure be at or above the BFE. The participating community must also determine that the land and any existing or proposed structures to be removed from the SFHA are “reasonably safe from flooding.”

View LOMR-F (Letter of Map Revision Based on Fill)

What are some survey considerations before building my dream home?

Before purchasing a lot on which to build your Dream Home, at a minimum, you should consider the following;

1.) Not all land is created equal.

2.) Can the property accommodate/support your proposed and/or future plans.

3.) Prior to purchasing your property you should determine;

a.} Is all or a portion of the property in a 100 year Flood Hazard Area?
b.} Will the property support a on- Site Subsurface Wastewater Disposal system
in the area you want to build your home?
c.} Are there Wetlands on-site that could prevent you from building in your chosen spot on the property, or build on the property at all, without great cost?
d.} Are there streams on the property or abutting properties that can stream or associated wetlands that can prevent you from building at your chosen spot on the property?
e.} Are there areas of exposed bedrock or shallow to bedrock conditions?
Bedrock is very expensive to excavate.
f.} Municipal Zoning can effect, where you can build, what you can build, and if you can build what you want on the property.

4.) Some of the information regarding the above can be found at a the Municipal Town/ City Office.

5.) You should meet with the Town/City Codes Enforcement Officer (CEO) to find out more about the property regarding local zoning, minimum lot size requirements, overlay zones (Resource Protection, Shoreland) and permitting.

6.) Additional information can also be found at the following websites;

a.} SOILS: County Soil Survey Maps. (Webb Soil Survey)
b.} Wetlands: Maine Department of Environmental Protection
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
c.} Wetland Inventory Maps. Note, Wetlands depicted on the State of Maine Wetland Inventory Maps are under the jurisdiction of the MDEP and the ACOE so not all Wetlands or Vernal Pools are shown on these maps. On-site Wetlands not shown on these maps may also be subject to local, state, federal regulation.
d.} If you don’t know what are, or where the edges of wetland, vernal pools and streams are you should you may need to contact a wetland professional to assist you in determining potential wetland impacts and permitting requirements.

SWI can provide you assistance with obtaining the information listed above and also conduct a preliminary site walk-over to discuss if your potential property purchase can provide what you are looking for and potential permitting requirements.

Over 60 Years of Experience.

We know all the angles. Contact us today!

(207) 946-4480

Contact Us
Close Menu
SurveyWorks, Inc.
79 Main St. Suite 300
Auburn, ME 04210

Phone: (207) 946-4480 Email:
Visit Terradyn Website